Exercises Following Session 3
It is important at this stage that you are beginning to become thoroughly familiar with the coursing order and are developing some skill in watching the bells as you pass them and can at least see who leads after you lead, even if not who is leading all the way through.
Don't worry if you are not yet able to sort out either Plain Hunt Doubles or the Plain Course of Plain Bob Doubles because this skill will come with time. The main thing is to keep practicing the skill of seeing what is going on with a good band around you and also seeing if you can spot when a learner has gone wrong.
1. Repeat the exercises for Session 1. This will help with full familiarisation with the coursing order whilst ringing a method which is not too demanding. In particular, repeat the exercise where you alter the coursing order after calling some call changes.
2. Repeat the exercises for Session 2 so that you are increasingly familiar with the way that the coursing order relates to the method.
3. Be certain that you understand what it means when we say that the transposition for a bob at home is ABC -> BCA and that you can apply this to any group of three things in your mind. Try it with numbers, particularly but not exclusively 324, and try it with letters and words. This exercise can be done in any spare moment and probably shouldn't be done for very long at any one session otherwise confusion may set in.
4. Be sure that you understand the term "Home" and what it means to call a bob "at Home".
5. Call some touches with the bobs at Home. Make sure that when you call bobs that you make the actual call just as the bell that is leading is just starting to pull the backstroke of its lead as the Treble is in 2nd's place.
6. Try to retain the coursing order in your head whilst someone else calls the bobs. Do the transposition for each bob.
7. Whilst someone else calls the bobs perform the transpositions and see if you can now see the new coursing order in the bells you pass and in the bells leading.
8. Call the bobs yourself and try to retain and manipulate the coursing order in your head.
9. Repeat exercise 8 but also try to see the new coursing order in the bells.